Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

ARC MAGAZINE article: roycrosse - The River Exhibition at Coppin State University, Baltimore Md. 2012 6/15/12


"The old river in its broad reach rested unruffled at the decline of day, after ages of good service done to the race that peopled its banks, spread out in the tranquil dignity of a waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth."
-       Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness,

roycrosse’s exhibition titled The River consists of black and white drawings, a video and a sculptural installation – all of which describe the collective mortal journey and the circuitous paths we travel over time. There is a “river” that snakes around the center of the gallery floor – comprised of various sized rocks, pebbles, and plastic sheathing giving off a shimmering light moving us along at various speeds through memory and life’s vicissitudes, always bathing us with its beauty and unpredictable undulations.  Bridges and barriers are set up so that we need to literally “cross” the river to reach the other side - to experience the black and white drawings that hang on the wall.

“I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the
flow of human blood in human veins.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy
bosom turn all golden in the sunset.

I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.”
— Langston Hughes

Roy too has known rivers since he was a young boy in Trinidad.

“As a boy I lived just outside the city limits, and within walking distance from our two bedroom concrete bungalow was the "Never Dirty River", a place I would visit with friends and sometimes alone where I caught guppies for my homemade aquarium. The River was a source of joy, a retreat, a place of adventure and play.

“Oddly enough, when we move to the city several years later I lived one block from a River, this one man-made. It was called the Dry River, except in the rainy season when it would flood its banks, a rather scary proposition. So you see I have been around rivers for most of my childhood.”


Once we have crossed The River we encounter the rich black and white graphite drawings of varying dimensions depicting buildings with cathedral windows and vaulted arches, but here we are not submerged in the luxurious color of stained glass, but rather we are overwhelmed with a blinding white light in contrast to the enigmatic architectural skin of a dark edifice which might be a sanctuary. The space of these drawings is ambiguous – A moon hovers in the interval between inside and outside. Windows become transparent ghosts floating above bridges and upward reaching structures that are no longer earth-bound but transformed into wraith-like dreams.

 Can man wrestle nature into submission? That is the question I asked myself when I was confronted by the signature piece of the show entitled appropriately The River, a large @9 foot drawing on canvas consisting of roycrosse’s panoply of wedge-like interventional shapes/man-made “designs” superimposed upon the river’s natural flow of time and movement. Another large drawing has trees lined up along the edge of a barren world – nurtured by the river but devoid of vegetation - bleak and haunted a symbol of sublime despair.

Upon leaving the exhibition I was galvanized by a video that roycrosse shot while traveling in New Orleans camera in hand directed at the Mississippi River. Here we get the essence of the complexity, momentum, and core power of a river to elevate and to destroy; to give and to take, to stagger with its aesthetic grandeur and to vitiate with its omnipotence.

“All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.”
-Toni Morrison



No comments:

Post a Comment